Effectively Managing Complex Divorce Matters
At Sorkin and Sorkin, PL, we have the experience necessary to understand our clients’ legal situation including complex divorce matters. John Sorkin and Robin Sorkin have handled issues relating to forensic accounting, such as business valuation, asset and debt allocation, life style analysis, alimony and child support scenarios.
Complex divorces that we handle routinely include identification, valuation, and distribution of marital and non-marital assets, retirement plans, small businesses, family businesses, professional practices, inheritances, and premarital property. We also handle cases involving unique personal issues regarding your personal conditions such as substance abuse, mental health, and special needs children and adults.
- Inherited property
- Property inherited during the marriage may or may not be part of the marital estate, depending on a variety of complex facts.
- Valuations of Family Owned Businesses
- The value of a business can have a significant impact on a divorce settlement. Unfortunately, there are many ways to determine the value of a business in relation to how it affects a divorce settlement, alimony, and property division.
- Qualified Investment Plans
- 401k, IRA, and pension plans create complex issues in division when the parties are trying to weigh their current financial picture against the backdrop of future retirement.
- Assessments of Premarital Assets
- Many people have existing assets when they enter a marriage. These assets may or may not be part of the marital estate, depending on how they were treated before and during the marriage.
- Disability Issues Involving a Child or Spouse
- A disability or adverse health of a child or spouse can significantly affect a number of aspects of divorce settlement, including child support, alimony, and property division.
- Disabled Children
- You must include the costs of special needs children that go beyond the day-to-day needs of a child.
- Substance Abuse
- The abuse of alcohol, prescription drugs, or illegal substances has an impact on support, custody and visitation or timesharing.
At Sorkin and Sorkin, PL, we develop a strategy that allows us to work toward a practical solution even in complex divorce matters and unique family situations.
Call 800-375-2942 for a free office consultation.
Practice Areas of Law